Media is about 15 miles west of Philadelphia, the county seat of Delaware County. It has about 4,000 residents and it has a vibrant main street and a tightly-knit community. It also draws visitors from many local towns for its fantastic shopping, restaurants and special events.
In 2006, Media met the five criteria established by the British Fairtrade Foundation to become a Fair Trade town. The criteria include:
- Local council passes a resolution supporting Fair Trade, and agrees to serve Fair Trade products.
- A range of Fair Trade products are available locally.
- Schools, workplaces, places of worship and community organisations support Fair Trade and use Fair Trade products whenever possible.
- Media coverage and events raise awareness and understanding of Fair Trade across the community.
- A Fair Trade steering group representing different sectors is formed to co-ordinate action around the goals and develop them over the years.
Now there are 44 other declared Fair Trade towns in the US with more in progress, and over 1,800 other towns around the world!